8 Major Cannabinoid Acids
- CBGA (Cannabigerolic acid)
- THCA (Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid)
- CBDA (Cannabidiolic acid)
- CBCA (Cannabichromenenic acid)
- CBGVA (Cannabigerovarinic acid)
- THCVA (Tetrahydrocanabivarinic acid)
- CBDVA (Cannabidivarinic acid)
- CBCVA (Cannabichromevarinic acid)
Cannabis doesn’t directly make the cannabinoids THC and CBD. It synthesizes several cannabinoid acids (listed above). These cannabinoid acids must be activated, or decarboxylated, in order to produce the compounds that most consumers are after (THC or CBD).
CBGA — THCA, CBDA, CBCA
CBGVA — THCVA, CBDVA, CBCVA
The most common cannabinoid acids include CBGA, THCA, CBDA, and CBCA. Enzymes in the plant use CBGA to make the other three. There are also a number of “V” compounds. These corresponding compounds have a moderately shorter chemical structure: CBGVA, THCVA, CBDVA, and CBCVA.